Subject: Re: Any caveats on non-Pentium CPU's?
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/2001 19:30:03
David Maxwell said:

>On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:30:06AM +0000, oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

>> Getting in deep here. Looking for another PC for NetBSD,
>> so as to have a network. See lots of deals on non-Pentium
>> CPU types: Celeron, Duron, Athlon, etc...
>>
>> Any caveats on those for NetBSD?
>
>Only Via chipset issues on most Athalon MBs, though that's not NetBSD
>specific.

I recently bought a barebones system from Accessmicro.com that I've fleshed
out to these specifications:

Epox 8KTA3 motherboard - VIA chipset
1ghz Athlon chip
384 megs memory
20gb IBM Deskstar ATA diskdrive
Acer CD-RW ATA drive
ATI Xpert 2000 video card w/32 megs meory
3com 3C905B network card

Basically, the system works great. Does a "make build" of NetBSD 1.5.1
in 1 hour and 10 minutes.

The IDE/ATA bus seems to be fine except that when I run cdrecord, I have
to kill it once and then run it again, otherwise it hangs. I assume that
this is a driver problem with the cd burner. I've been burning a lot of
CDs lately, and they work fine.

I'm running XFree86 4.1.0 as I am under the impression that 3.3.6 would
not work correctly with the ATI Xpert 2000. My only problem here is that
I load the aperture driver and then use sysctl to raise the kernel security
level. (this works with 3.3.6) However, when I raise the security level,
onlt root can use X11. I don't know whether this is an XFree, ATI, NetBSD
or hardware problem.

But the machine is a screamer...
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com