Subject: Re: mounting msdos partition from an extended partition
To: Bernd Limbach <BeLi@aventa.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/2001 21:02:19
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:57:09PM +0100, Bernd Limbach wrote:
> Manuel,
>
> > > I tried to add a msdos partition to my NetBSD system and followed
> Fredericos
> > > Lupis short guide. He describes this with a primary partition when I
> [..]
> > What was the exact message ?
>
> extraction of boot message:
> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<
> backup doesn't compare to primary bootblock
> /dev/rwd0f: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTY; RUN fsck_msdos MANUALLY
>
> THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTY
>     msdos: /dev/rwd0f    (/pub)
> Automatic file system check failed; help!
> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<
>
> my /etc/fstab:
> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<
> /dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
> /dev/wd0b none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw 1 2
> /kern /kern kernfs rw
> /dev/cd0a /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
> /dev/wd0f /pub msdos rw,noauto 1 3
> --------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<
>
> As I wrote, the start sector and the size for the disklabel was used from
> Partition Magic 6.0.

If you're running 1.5.1, could you check that mbrlabel gives the same result ?

> One more question:
> What does in the numerical entires at the end of the line mean exactly?
> I learned by a private email that "0 0" will skip the consistency checks.

'man fstab':
     The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the dump(8)
     command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped.  If the fifth
     field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump(8) will assume
     that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.

     The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine
     the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root
     filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesys-
     tems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be
     checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked
     at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If
     the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and
     fsck(8) will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

> BTW, my extended partition consists of the following file systems:
> 1st part:    NTFS5 (D:\)
> 2nd part:    FAT32 (E:\)
> 3rd part:    FAT32 (F:\)

Just to be sure, you're not trying to mount the NTFS part ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>