Subject: Re: DSL or Cable Modem for NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/2001 11:10:05
>  With DSL I've found it's easier to get a straight forward routable IP
> connection with statics. Cable modems are usually NAT and DHCP / PPPoE
> setups which is annoying to deal with.

No DSL available here, and the one cable modem outfit in our area (which
I broke down and contracted with on Monday) uses DHCP, and as far as I
can tell, NAT.  Is there anyone out there who knows how to get INTO your
NetBSD box FROM the Internet when it's connected to a cable modem and
the ISP is using NAT and DHCP?  (Or am I up a creek without a paddle --
after spending 65,000 yen [yes, ca. US$520!].)

henry nelson