Subject: Re: DHCP and RoadRunner Cable Modem
To: Analysis and Solutions <info@analysisandsolutions.com>
From: Othmar Korn <sabbath@bigpond.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/2001 02:04:21
On Wednesday, July 18, 2001 1:56 AM Analysis and Solutions
<info@analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:

> > AFAIK, this is a benign message. It just means that the DHCP server
> > has sent a packet that has extra data at the end. This used to kill
> > dhclient, but no longer does, it just ignores it. I've been getting
> > that message ever since my provider (RCN in northeast US) upgraded
> > their network about 6 months ago.
>
> We're in different boats.  The "ip length disagrees" message upon
invocation
> of dhclient is 100% corelated between my ability to connect and not.  When
it
> appears, I can't get outside.  When it doesn't appear, there are no
problems
> getting out.

Well that might just be it then. I have received that message every single
time, and every single time I have not been able to access the outside
world.  I think it's fair enough at this point to assume that the DP83815
cards are still funky even with the supposed fix in 1.5.1.