Subject: Re: DSL or Cable Modem for NetBSD?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/2001 13:00:18
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Jon Lindgren wrote:
>
> : DSL enabled me to 1) get a local router, so I didn't have to deal with
> : PPPoE and DHCP (the latter more of a convenience, not a problem),
>
> Note that not all DSL providers allow this; it's all up to the ISP in
> question.  That's what you should be researching in your area.  8-)

[snip]

Absolutely - a good point.  Researching what is available and practical in
your area is probably step 1.  DSL without PPPoE might be a great
solution, but if it isn't available, then it doesn't solve the problem.

I happened to go with SDSL, so I had another pair run into the
house.  Into a router, and down into the dungeons of wires, racks and such
which exist in the room my girlfriend still refers to as "the second
bedroom."  I would've been SOL if I didn't have that second pair to run
the SDSL on.

In terms of deciding service I considered (in about this order):

-Availability (time to install, cost, equipment/wiring, etc...)
-Technology (pppoe, etc...)
-Price

In the end, I went with a solution which gives me basically an ethernet
jack and a /28 subnet.  No muss, no fuss, no special drivers required, no
special doo-hickeys.  Just IP over ethernet.

And I'm quite happy.  But, of course, ymmv.

-
Jon
 '"The chicken," it's been said, "is just an egg's way of making more
  eggs."' -- Alton Brown