Subject: Re: DSL or Cable Modem for NetBSD?
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/2001 11:44:50
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

> Are there instructions or comments anywhere about
> connecting NetBSD to DSL or Cable Modem?

[snip]

I needed a connection with a number of routable IPs (i.e. not behind
NAT).  Cablemodems weren't available in my area, and DSL was.  That
was my first consideration.  I've had DSL for 2 years now, and
cablemodems still aren't available in my area :-(

DSL enabled me to 1) get a local router, so I didn't have to deal with
PPPoE and DHCP (the latter more of a convenience, not a problem), 2) have
a QOS contract with my provider, and 3) lets me do things like easily run
my own DNS and mail servers.  It gives me the ultimate flexibility.  I
frequently complain about how other people [read: ISPs] are generally
deficient in more than one talent; this way, I can do everything myself,
so I have only my own incompetence to blame.  Nice.

I use NetBSD almost exclusively for firewalling, etc.  It works
beautifully.  I've heard of troubles w.r.t PPPoE, but I've avoided it like
the plague so I can't comment on NetBSD's functionality in that
arena.  NetBSD's functioning as a firewall, ftp site, mail server, DNS
server, www, etc. has so far been great.  No problems - it purrs away,
allowing me to get on with my daily "stuff."  This is what I'd expect,
seeing as DSL just gives you an ethernet connection.  Again, nice.

My current provider is great - they even rolled me over to a Covad line
for free when Northpoint went under.  I understand that such luck with
DSL providers is rare, so consider that as well when you're making your
decision.  I also understand that with proper polite questions, prodding,
bribing, or paying extra (if your cable company provides it), you can get
more than one IP and sometimes static IPs.

Just my 2E-2 dollars.

-
Jon
 '"The chicken," it's been said, "is just an egg's way of making more
  eggs."' -- Alton Brown