Subject: Re: offtopic: what "PNP OS" in BIOS option is doing?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/17/2001 10:24:17
On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 04:32:49PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> when set to no, my isapnp soundblaster works good in netbsd
> with yes it is detected, different interrupt is attached (10 instead of 5)
> and does not work.

At a guess, this has less to do with PNP stuff than with your sound
card being bumped from IRQ 5.

Sound cards don't so much like to work anywhere besides IRQ 5 (maybe
7, too?). I had a similar problem with my ISA sound card being
forced to IRQ 9 till I yanked an extra 10/100 card out of my machine.

Bottom line is, PC interrupt architecture blows large, hairy
mammals. Funny how sound works every time on my Apple Macintosh and
Sun Microsystems machines...

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net