Subject: fresh diskless install
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: \"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5kan Th=F6rngren?=\" <hth@update.uu.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/2001 22:42:46
I use NetBSD on Sparcs today. I do not own any i386 hardware, but I am
considering getting a diskless i386 machine.  That is, a machine with
no HD, CDROM or floppy.  (I might be pursuaded to get a floppy for it,
but barely).

I have a NetBSD server (Sparc), have done NetBSD diskless in the past
on Sun3s.  I have also done some Linux diskless stuff on i386 a couple
of years ago.  I am reasonably familiar with the procedures.

Now the two problems as I see it:

1. How do I get a Netboot or Etherboot image onto a suitable network
   card?  I have not yet bought a card, so I am free to choose...
   For a motherboard I am leaning towards an ABIT VA6.
2. How do I make a diskless kernel?  Will GENERIC do for a start, and
   then a rebuild with more suitable parameters when the system is up?

I do have very LIMITED access to PC hardware, virtually none actually.
Can it be done, and how?

  /H=E5kan