Subject: Re: bad144 on IDE disks
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@marco.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/2001 11:06:57
In article <Pine.NEB.4.33.0107160003050.974-100000@wojtek.3miasto.net>,
	wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net (Wojciech Puchar) writes:
>> >does not remapped it yet.
>>
>> Right; I'm hoping to limp along until a new drive comes in.
>>
>> >try backing up data, doing
>> >dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d one or more times.
>> >
>> >most IDE drives remap sectors on faulty writes
>>
>> Uh, well ... that would completely zero out the only disk in the machine,
>> wouldn't it?
>
> yes so i've said "back up data"
>

> maybe (MAYBE) dd if=/dev/rwd0d of=/dev/rwd0d bs=64k conv=noerror
> will do it without wiping but never tried.

Do not forget to specify "conv=sync". Otherwise nothing will be written
for bad blocks and your filesystem will be in quite a bad state after
the "repair".

Regards, Matthias
--
Matthias Pfaller                            Software Entwicklung
marco Systemanalyse und Entwicklung GmbH    Tel   +49 8131 5161-41