Subject: Re: bad144 on IDE disks
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/2001 01:48:02
>2. Add "badsect" flag to the disklabel, using disklabel(8).
>
>3. Initialize bad144 table.
>
>	# bad144 wd0 0
>
>4. Add bad sector using bad144(8) with -a option.

It turns out that when I did this, I got "bad sector table corrupted" ...
from what I can tell, the userland bad144 utility and arch/i386/i386/disksubr.c
calculated different spots for the bad sector table (bad144 uses end of "c"
partition, disksubr.c uses end of "d" partition ... which in my case is
different since I have a NTFS partition as well).

What I ended up doing was a slightly modified suggestion from Wojciech,
which basically involved:

dd if=/dev/zero count=1 seek=<blocknumber> /dev/rwd0f

until all of the errors went away.  Thanks for the suggestion!

--Ken