Subject: Re: DHCP and RoadRunner Cable Modem
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Othmar Korn <sabbath@bigpond.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/16/2001 14:39:21
On Monday, July 16, 2001 1:50 AM "Laine Stump" <lainestump@rcn.com> wrote:

> >     DHCPREQUEST on sip0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
> >     ip length 352 disagrees with bytes received 354.
> >     accepting packet with data after udp payload.
>
> AFAIK, this is a benign message. It just means that the DHCP server
> has sent a packet that has extra data at the end. This used to kill
> dhclient, but no longer does, it just ignores it. I've been getting
> that message ever since my provider (RCN in northeast US) upgraded
> their network about 6 months ago.

Well I'm no expert on that, perhaps you are right.
Maybe (without really thinking too much about it) I just happened
to associate this 'error' with the fact that dhcp wasn't working for me.
It could still be my network card.. only thing is, I don't really want
to go out and buy another NIC if I don't absolutely have to.