Subject: Re: vmware periodic freeze
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2001 22:17:24
On 07/15/2001 09:09:31 PM ZE2 Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 06:44:18PM +0200, Christian Groessler wrote:

>> >This isn't a symbol but a string:
>> >scsipi_base.c:1901:             (void) tsleep(xs, PRIBIO, "xscmd",
>> >0);
>>
>> Hmm, I see. But wouldn't it be better, given that this is the only
>> tsleep in this function, to use the function name as string, instead
>> of xscmd (which might mean something like "transfer sync. command")?
>>
>> Or how am I supposed to find the place where the process sleeps short
>> of a grep over the whole source archive?
>
>This string has to be short, I think

Maybe use only the first xxx chars of the function name. This will
still give a better hint to the function as currently.

>> >But this doesn't hang the machine, rigth ?
>>
>> No, only a temporary freeze (~ 3s).
>
>Ok, on the wmware side. But on the NetBSD side, do the machine freeze ?

The NetBSD side seems mostly OK. The mouse always moves. But I have
the impression that fs access is blocked during this freeze. I noticed
it a few times in the past doing a ls in a shell terminal, but now
cannot reproduce it.

regards,
chris