Subject: Re: DHCP and RoadRunner Cable Modem
To: Othmar Korn <sabbath@bigpond.net.au>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2001 11:50:24
"Othmar Korn" <sabbath@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> website. Now dhclient would no longer core-dump, but a new problem arose,
> which looks something like this (no doubt a familar sight for yourself):
>
>     DHCPREQUEST on sip0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
>     ip length 352 disagrees with bytes received 354.
>     accepting packet with data after udp payload.

AFAIK, this is a benign message. It just means that the DHCP server
has sent a packet that has extra data at the end. This used to kill
dhclient, but no longer does, it just ignores it. I've been getting
that message ever since my provider (RCN in northeast US) upgraded
their network about 6 months ago.