Subject: Re: List of USB Ethernet & Mass Devices tested with NetBSD 1.5.1
To: None <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/15/2001 02:57:36
>> For the "I/O DATA Lan Egg Slim, USB-ET/TX-S" USB ethernet adapter I get
>> the following boot messages:
>>         ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
>>         ugen0: I-O DATA DEVICES,INC. USB-ET/TX-S, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2
>
> I bet this device works with the kue or aue driver.  But it needs to
> be added to the table in the driver to work.  If you are willing to
> experiment I can give you the instructions on how to add it.

Hi Lennart:

Experimenting is good, if it helps my USB ethernet adapter work with NetBSD.
:-)  Using the format in the man page, my USB ethernet adapter work is
specified as:
        "I/O DATA USB ET/TX-S"

I took it apart and discovered it has the following chipset:

        "AMDtek", "Pegasus II", "ADM8511", "0050WAAFK17561.1"

It is safe to assume that my USB adapter is not compatable with the:

        cue - CATC USB-EL1201A USB Ethernet driver
or the:
        kue - Kawasaki LSI KL5KUSB101B USB Ethernet driver

The closest match is the:

        aue - ADMtek AN986 Pegasus USB Ethernet driver

        The Pegasus contains a 10/100 Ethernet MAC with MII interface
        and is designed to work with both Ethernet and HomePNA
        transceivers.  Although designed to interface with 100Mbps
        peripherals, the existing USB standard specifies a maximum
        transfer speed of 12Mbps.  Users should therefore not expect to
        actually achieve 100Mbps speeds with these devices.

The "aue" driver does support the "I/O DATA USB ETTX" adapter.  Hopefully
it is close to my "I/O DATA USB ET/TX-S" adaptor which is also a 10/100
Ethernet MAC, and that the newer "AMDtek ADM8511 PegasusII" chipset has
backwards compatablity with the "ADMtek AN986 Pegasus" driver.

As a first step, could you see if someone could please check if the
drivers for the PegasusII chipset is backwards compatable with the
Pegasus?  If it is, I would be happy to test it with a modified "aue"
driver.

Alicia.