Subject: mounting msdos partition from an extended partition
To: NetBSD-port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Limbach <BeLi@aventa.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/2001 19:16:12
Hello all!

I tried to add a msdos partition to my NetBSD system and followed Fredericos
Lupis short guide. He describes this with a primary partition when I
remember that correctly. On my Inspiron 4000 I have within an extended
partition 2 FAT32 partitions. Using Partition Magic 6.0 sector informations
(for "disklabel -e wd0") and adding one of these into "/etc/fstab" always
brought me into an interruption of the boot process when NetBSD wants to add
that file system (something insconsistency).

I assume that this has something to do with the given position and/or size
of the FAT32 partition I gave the disklabel. The problem is, as far as I
understand the command fdisk, that it only shows _real_ primary or extended
partitions, but not partitions within the extended partition. Is this
correct or do I miss an option for fdisk?

Digging further... thanks in advance!

PS:
Nice feature to restore "/etc/fstab" via "echo 'what ever entry'
>>fstab.1" and "mv /etc/fstab.1 /etc/fstab" :-). My first thought was, I had
reinstall the whole system...

--
MfG, Best regards,
GP, BP, YIS                                 Bernd