Subject: Re: offtopic: what "PNP OS" in BIOS option is doing?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/2001 16:13:30
On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

: > > when set to no, my isapnp soundblaster works good in netbsd
: > > with yes it is detected, different interrupt is attached (10 instead of 5)
: > > and does not work.
: >
: > Same with my 3c905 card (ep driver)....
:
: "Me too". A Crystal Sound CS4235 (brand name: Acer AW37, wss driver), and
: a few 3Com 3C509Bs (ep driver).
:
: IIRC, "PNP OS = Yes" is a hack for Windows 95 (I've actually seen some
: BIOSs refer to it as "Running Windows 95" instead of "PNP OS").

Parts of the PCI and PnP initialization are explicitly *not* done if this
option is set to "Yes"; Win9x has code to go in and set up the PCI bus
manually and allocate IRQs at runtime to make use of this.

We do provide some support for the various PCIBIOS and PnPbios calls
involved in 1.5.x and -current, but most of it is not enabled by default.
Your best bet is to set this option to "no".

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/