Subject: List of USB Ethernet & Mass Devices tested with NetBSD 1.5.1
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/14/2001 15:41:52
Does anyone has a list of tested USB ethernet interfaces and USB mass
storage devices that work with the generic laptop kernel (bootlap) in
the NetBSD 1.5.1 i386 distribution?

I recently bought a USB ethernet adapter and a USB (2.5") IDE drive
enclosure, none of which work with the generic laptop kernel (bootlap)
in the bootable floppy NetBSD 1.5.1 i386 distribution.  (These devices
work great with Win 95/98/ME/2000 & MacOS.)

For the "I-O DATA Lan Egg Slim, USB-ET/TX-S" USB ethernet adapter I get
the following boot messages:

        ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
        ugen0: I-O DATA DEVICES,INC. USB-ET/TX-S, rev 1.10/1.01, addr 2

and of course "ifconfig -a" does not reveal any network interface for
this USB adapter.

For the "ScanLogic USBIDE, model HD-225" USB (2.5") IDE drive enclosure
I get:

        umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
        umass0: ScanLogic USBIDE ScanLogic USBIDE, rev 1.10/2.60, addr 2
        umass0: using SCSI over BBB-P
        scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 luns per target
        scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
        umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850008 should be 42
        umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850008 should be 43
        umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850008 should be 44
        umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850008 should be 45
        umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850008 should be 46

and of course I do not get any type of mountable drive.

Before I go out and buy more USB devices, I would greatly appreciate
knowing which ones work with the generic laptop kernel (bootlap) in the
bootable floppy NetBSD 1.5.1 i386 distribution, to avoid waisting any
more money on NetBSD non-complient hardware.

Unfortunately the USB Supported Hardware list on:

        http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/usb.html

Only gives the following info:

     * USB mass storage devices, e.g. USB Zip drives (umass)
     * USB Ethernet adapters (aue, cue, and kue)

It does not provide any type of actual hardware list I can look up in
a catalog or ask for in a store.  I am mostly interested in a tiny
USB interface that is the size and shape of a regular PCMCIA dongle, and
a pocket size USB mass storage device that is a 2.5" IDE drive enclosure.
(I have both of these devices, but they do not work under NetBSD, so I
need close alternatives.)

Alicia.