Subject: Re: best NIC to make samba server
To: Kazushi Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/2001 20:10:19
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:13:03AM -0500, Kazushi Marukawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experied slow NetBSD samba server.  Then, I bought many
> NICs with a hope to improve the speed and failed.  At last,
> I got good cards finally.  So, I want to list them up to
> help others and hear differnt idea or opinions from others.
> I list up NICs what I put into my NetBSD box and my
> experience while I was using NetBSD as a samba server from
> Windows clients.

Other things may come in the game: hard disk controller, or
PCI bridge. It's possible that HDD access block DMA for the network controller
for too long. Linux would be less sensible to this because of its async
filesystems.

I have samba servers running on various machines, with various ethernet
controllers and various motherboards; all of them performs as expected.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>