Subject: NetBSD and four WinNT's
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/2001 15:29:32
Okay, thanks to Nigel and Greywolf, I got both ftp and
telnet up and working on NetBSD. The next step was to
plug my NetBSD laptop into the LAN at work my four
WinNT's.

But I find that since all four NT's are workstations, and
not one a server. So I can only FTP from NetBSD into NT,
and only telnet from NT into NetBSD. That's kind of a
drag...

Short of upgrading one of the NT's from workstation to
server (which I'm sure the boss will pay for) is there a
work-around that anybody knows of?

Like, maybe...a program to get NetBSD to join the NT
"workgroup" along with the four NT's just like it was one
of their own? Within the workgroup, all the NT's can see
each other. From one NT (via GUI, aka "My Computer") I
can look into all the others, and so forth. If logged in
as admin, I can do anything I want on any one or all of
them.

These four NT's are isolated from the outside world on
their own private LAN. It seems that there shold be a way
for NetBSD to talk to them like "one of the guys", i.e.
join the "workgroup" of four NT's.

Three of these four NT's are running multi-axis
servohydraulic testing rigs 24/7. They are sequestered
from the company inter/intranet conection because I
forbade it two years ago on account of all the in-house
virus problems (not yet completely solved). But...I
wouldn't mind fixing one of them up with a modem. And if
need be, I could scrounge up an old PC, install NetBSD
and mgetty, and plug that into the LAN.

But it wouldn't be worth the effort unless I could get
NetBSD to be accepted into the workgroup. But if I could,
then I'd be able to call in from home (like on Saturday)
and view the logs instead of having to physically
eye-ball the NT's in person (which would be ultra cool
'cause I'm on straight salary). Most of the time I have
to come in is only because maintenance so often fails to
regularly change the cooling water filters so that my
hydraulic pumps have overheated. I'd like not to have to
bother when stuff is still running okay.

But...I really want to figure it out via NetBSD ('cause
I'm really quite sick of both NT and Win98).

Thanks

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI USA

PS -- It's kind of a shame, really. MTS, the testing
software company for these NT's originally wrote it all
this stuff on UNIX, then some years ago they ported it to
NT (abandoning UNIX). You can tell because it still runs
on X (via Hummingbird) so that when I click on any NT-ish
exit box I get a warning which says "This will end your
X session...". Alas and alack.

---

To paraphrase Hitler...
"Who remembers the Amalekites?"