Subject: Re: Problems booting 1.5.1
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
From: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/2001 10:40:21
There are people that can explain this much more succinctly than I, but
here's a shot....

1.5W and 1.5.1 are both upgrades from 1.5.  While they may share some
common upgrades/fixes, they are definitely not the same.

The difference is the quality of the release.  1.5.1 is available for
people like me (that run businesses using NetBSD) and need 'commercial'
quality while 1.5W is the 'research' quality release.

We spent quite a bit of time arguing about the release numbering scheme
a couple of years ago and there isn't really any good alternative.
Unless we want to reopen that can of worms, this kind of problem will
continue to occur.

The problem is that the 1.5[A-ZZ] releases are actually precursors to
1.6, where the 1.5.[1-9] releases are extensions to the past.  How we
number that in a clear way just isn't an easy nut to crack.

Unless we change the scheme so that the numbered releases identify the
goal (which would make -current 1.6W), I don't see any way around this
problem.  I'm not advocating a change, there are good reasons to go
with the current method.  Even then, we still need to make it clear that
1.5.1 is not an upgrade compatible with 1.6W.  Of course, we then get
into the problem of what happens when we want to release the 1.6 Beta?

Sigh :-(

Dave