Subject: Re: Problems booting 1.5.1
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/12/2001 11:15:10
Steven Sartorius wrote:

> I'm currently running 1.5W and decided to upgrade to 1.5.1 by installing
> from source.   This morning I grabbed the tarballs from the 1.5.1 release
> directory and built a new (GENERIC) kernel with no problems.  When I go to
> boot the new kernel, though, things start off normally (the kernel starts to
> load) but before I see any boot messages the machine spontaneously reboots.
> Never seen this before in NetBSD.  Anyone have any ideas?

1.5W is a release of -current.  While 1.5.1 is a upgrade from 1.5.
So you are running an "old" kernel via 1.5.1 with a new userland (-current).

Trust me, 1.5.1 is *not* an upgrade to -current (e.g. 1.5W).

Apologies this is confusing... the lettered 1.5 versions are branches
of -current as I understand the naming scheme.

-- Ken