Subject: RE: Terminal server
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2001 15:15:44
[ On Monday, July 9, 2001 at 14:21:14 (-0400), David Woyciesjes wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Terminal server
>
> How about read-only, as in CD-ROM, nounted about 1/2" back behind the front,
> to hide it?

From what I've heard CD-ROM drives and the like don't make very good
disk drives (not only because they're often too slow).

Maybe in a more modern workstation with enough RAM the root filesystem
could be copied from the CD on boot to an MFS.....

With a tuned kernel and Xserver you should be able to get a reasonably
small working system into not too much MFS space....

Booting from CD does seem to be at least as widely supported as booting
from a NIC, and perhaps easier to manage too, not to mention but that
all the machinery for building such CDs is more or less in the source
tree already.  I've hacked about with creating a rescue CD by default in
my i386 builds, but haven't yet burned one to test it....

--
							Greg A. Woods