Subject: Re: Terminal server
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: David Burgess <burgess@mitre.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2001 09:09:31
It depends on which kind of server you really want.

You can install multiport serial cards to support multiple terminals or
dial-in modem users.  You can even build in RADIUS, etc. on the server
so that the machine is entirely devoted to that kind of thing.  While
that might justify a 'project', it certainly is extremely simple to do
from the existing NetBSD system.

If you want to build an X-Server on a floppy, I'd recommend that you
actually go for netbooting using the existing mechanisms.  You should
be able to do that without a 'project'.

In other words, with a couple of weeks of playing with the system, you
should be able to what the LTSP is trying to do.  Of course, if your
point is to find someone to finance you while you're doing it, a
"project" is definitely the way to go :-)

Dave