Subject: None
To: None <OinkFreeBiker@att.net>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/09/2001 02:35:48
>From: OinkFreeBiker@att.net
>Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 23:38:52 +0000
>
>Still doing same thing...
>
>Okay, to recap. Wanting to boot straight to X, as per
>written instruction I put...
>
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/kdm
>
> ...at the end of /rc.local.
>
> Then, rebooting, the machine goes to X with a
> graphical login.
>
> But I can only login as root. If I login as me, the
> screen goes berserk for about one  second, and then
> settles down and the login gadget comes back again.
>[...]

Well, I was finally able to reproduce this myself after upgrading from
kde1 to kde2.

I was able to correct it by setting the PATH in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession like this:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin ; export PATH

(Put that near the top, after the "#!/bin/sh" line.)

Hope that helps.  If it does, you might want to file a bug report with
send-pr.

Cheers,
entropy