Subject: Re: mgetty and /etc/inittab ?
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2001 22:45:23
On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:

> mgetty's doc says I need to modify the file
> /etc/inittab. I don't have an /etc/inittab
> and man reports no entry for to "inittab".

On NetBSD, you only need to modify /etc/ttys. Here's an entry for an
external V.90 modem on com0, set to only take data calls:

tty00   "/usr/pkg/sbin/mgetty -D -s 115200" unknown     on

and here's another, an internal 28,800 modem that'll take fax calls,
too:

tty02   "/usr/pkg/sbin/mgetty -s 38400" unknown     on

after making the change, send init a HUP with "kill -HUP 1", and kill
any getty that was running on that port. You can view it's progress
with "tail -f /var/log/mgetty.ttyNN", substituting "NN" for the
correct tty number.

If you decide to use the same line for dialing out with "pppd", make
sure to invoke "pppd" with it's "lock" option.

Frederick