Subject: Re: NetBSD Advocacy
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2001 12:29:25
> >untrained eye. Which is okay for most purposes, but not,
> >I don't think, NetBSD advocacy.
> (snip)
>
> Having seen fancy web sites whose pages take forever to load, like watching
> grass grow at the South Pole, I wish there were more bland websites!  I like

exactly. NetBSD webpage is to present information, not wash reader's
brain.

> information, not glitz, and hate Shockwave (which I've never been able to view)
> and Javascript (another barrier).  I once did try to access http://www.3com.com

oh yes :)) i've once even enabled javascript in netscape and still weren't
able to navigate on that page. 3com is perfect example how webpage
shouldn't be made (while 3com hardware is very good).

> Only way I was able to get anything was to make an HTML-tagged link in my
> bookmarks file, load that file into Lynx and hit d for download.  Then I saw the
> Javascript and what it did to hide from the "wrong" browsers.  I much prefer the

i always turn off javascript if browser support it. i simply DO NOT like
foreign unknown program be run on my machine, not knowing what they do.
it's breaking my privacy.

> "any browser" philosophy.
yes.
> Currently I use mainly Lynx, and I don't complain about the NetBSD website.
try links (is in pkgsrc) - text based browser MUCH better than lynx, using
same or less resources.