Subject: Re: NetBSD Advocacy
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2001 04:12:46
from Gan Starling:

>Most of the NetBSD website is, err, fairly bland to the
>untrained eye. Which is okay for most purposes, but not,
>I don't think, NetBSD advocacy.
(snip)

Having seen fancy web sites whose pages take forever to load, like watching
grass grow at the South Pole, I wish there were more bland websites!  I like
information, not glitz, and hate Shockwave (which I've never been able to view)
and Javascript (another barrier).  I once did try to access http://www.3com.com
Only way I was able to get anything was to make an HTML-tagged link in my
bookmarks file, load that file into Lynx and hit d for download.  Then I saw the
Javascript and what it did to hide from the "wrong" browsers.  I much prefer the
"any browser" philosophy.

Currently I use mainly Lynx, and I don't complain about the NetBSD website.