Subject: Re: pilot-link usage for visor
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/08/2001 03:18:21
On 08.07.01, 06:42:10, Kazuhiko Takai wrote:
> I have been trying to use pilot-link in pkgsrc for several days, but keep failing.
>
> `man uvisor` tells me that with /dev/ttyU1 pilot-link can be used, but /dev/ttyU1 appears only after pressing HotSync button and disappears in a few seconds.   It seems tlat pilot-link requires an always-existng port, in other words, a usual com port.

It is true that the USB Visor comm port (ttyU0 in my case) only
appears for about a minute after the hot-sync button on the cradle is
pressed. After that the Visor times out and the cradle detaches from
the USB.

Proceed as follows: type in the command that you wish to use (if you
think that might take longer). Before sending off the command by
typing return, press the HotSync-Button on the Visor's USB cradle, and
one or two seconds after that engage the previously typed command.

Worked for me every time.

I mainly use pilot-xfer to install applications on the Visor (the
'classic' model, 2 MB).

> When I grep sources of libraries of pilot-link, there are no word 'USB' then I doubt that no USB libraries is introduced into pkgsrc unlike linux.

The ucom at uvisor port is handled like a serial port, so no special
software support is neccessary to handle USB communications.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: the server is up
		-- David Brownlee