Subject: Re: NetBSD *inside* VMware on NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/2001 07:40:17
On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 07:05:09AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 11:13:04AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:56:32PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > > I need to have both 1.5.1 and -current on one of my machines.  I'd like
> > > to do it by running -current inside VMware.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, I can't get the -current install disks to get through
> > > autoconfiguration.  With IDE "disks", I get to the probe of pciide0,
> > > and then I get a hard hang (the only thing that seems odd up to that
> >
> > Did you wait long enouth ? The timeout for IDE probe is 31s, and if the
> > timer isn't calibrated properly this can take much more time.
>
> I waited about 15 minutes.
>
> I'll try building a kernel without wdc at isa and see where that gets me.

Nowhere.  The INSTALL kernel without wdc in it hung right after the
"primary channel wired to compatibility mode" line, just like before. :-(

I'm using VMware 2.0.3; I'm going to try upgrading to 2.0.4 and see what
happens.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron