Subject: Re: NetBSD *inside* VMware on NetBSD?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/07/2001 03:38:35
On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:54:14PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> : Has anyone got NetBSD running *inside* VMware?  I'm trying to use chs's
> : snapshot of 2001-05-26.
>
> I booted a -current kernel compiled from yesterday's syssrc inside VMware,
> utilizing all of sound, IDE, and network -- but the VMware host is Win2k,
> not NetBSD.
>
> If an up-to-date compiled kernel also doesn't boot, them I'd suspect a bug
> in the VMware driver.

Well, I can't boot a 1.5.1 boot floppy set, either.

What it boils down to is that if I have the pciide enabled in the BIOS,
the kernel hangs after this line:

	pciide: primary channel wired to compatibility mode

Whereas if I don't, it hangs after "isa0 at pcib0".

My machine's an Athlon 1300.  I do notice that the cpu0 probe
consistently misprobes the CPU as somewhere between 300,000 and 400,000
MHz, whether I've got linuxrtc loaded or not (I have NFC what linuxrtc
actually does, so perhaps this is expected).

Anyway, perhaps I could get some version of NetBSD to run on this box but
I sure can't get any install kernel to go.  I wonder why my installation
loses when other people's don't?

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron