Subject: Ethernet support -- newbie question.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/2001 16:05:09
Newbie dumb question...

When the page at www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html says
that NetBSD supports this network interface card...

          3Com 3c90x[BC]

...does that mean that it includes all these 3Com
ethernet cards under that same umbrella?...

          3C905CTXM
          3C905BTXNM
          3C905TX
          3C900TPO
          3C900BTPO
          3C905CTXMOEM
          3C905BFXSC
          3C905BTX
          3C900COMBO
          3C900BCOMBO
          3C905BCOMBO
          3C900BFLST

...and is it similar with the other ?????x part numbers?

Why I ask:

I am thinking that I want to set up a small home network
cobbled together out of cheap used computers (for
puruposes of self-education on NetBSD) and will be having
to spend some money toward that end. The NetBSD Firewall
project sounds intriguing, etc...

But I want to make sure and get "the right stuff". Does
anybody have happy experiences with a particular Ethernet
card which they heartily recommend? That is, the exact
model number to order by, etc?

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI

PS -- My experiences with NetBSD on the IBM Thinkpad 380Z
I purchased  used from Peter Seebach has, so far, been
encourging. I have yet to  break NetBSD seriously enough
to require a re-install. I've lost count of the
re-installs I've had to do for Win98...

To paraphrase Hitler... "Who remembers the Amalekites?"