Subject: Re: USB External modems
To: None <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/2001 20:52:18
   Hello!

   USB external modems seem to be less expensive than RS-232
   style serial ones.  Does NetBSD/i386 work well with USB
   external modems?

   Regards,
     - Andy.

Hello...

The umodem driver [perhaps the uhci/ohci driver] was a little cranky in
the 1.4P era.  I was unable to use my uhci machine with a umodem while
doing ppp.  I was able to do 'cu' sorts of things, but the port would lock
up solid if I tried ppp.  This was in the 1.4P era.  My ohci machine does
better.  I am able to do ppp through it most of the time, with the
occasional lockup.  The uvisor driver had problems there, but uvisor
worked better on the uhci machine.  This was in the 1.4Y era.  The ohci
machine has been updated to 1.5.1_BETA, but I have not tried anything
except mice and keyboards since the upgrade.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]