Subject: Re: Again..VIA Problem with RealTek EtherCard.
To: Andrea <practive@practive.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/2001 21:09:47
On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 01:52:50AM +0000, Andrea wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm yet trying to build a file-server using NetBSD+RaidFrame+4ATA HD.
> But again i'm facing heavy problem in doing this.
>
> The symptom is still the same,when i try to initialize/read/write the
> raid volume the network card go away...
>
> The chipset is a VIA686A,the card is a Realtek 8139 and the IDE
> controllers are on-board ,changing the card (e.g. using a 3com)
> attenuate the problem ,but doesn't resolve it .

Look for BIOS upgrade for your motherboard, or for options in the
bios to tune PCI parameters. The VIA686A is buggy and a few things to be turned
off.
Look at http://www.au-ja.de/review-kt133a-1.html (there is a link to
an english version) for details.

Anyway, I strongly suggest avoiding to put 2 drives on the same channel,
especially 2 differents one (although I've also got problems with 2 identical,
it just seems that some drives misbehaves as slave). instead try getting
a cheap add-on pciide adapter and move 2 disks to it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>