Subject: Re: Lucent Orinico and adhoc mode
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2001 20:08:01
    Kevin> You do not want #3.  (Windows drivers don't even offer the option
    Kevin> anymore.)  You want mode #2, which is identical to #1 except that
    Kevin> one card pretends to be a base station for all of the others:

    Kevin> ifconfig wi0 nwid NETNAME -mediaopt adhoc wiconfig wi0 -c 1
    Kevin> wiconfig wi0 -q NETNAME # This one may not be needed

  Okay, I got this working between a Lucent Wavelan (old card) and a
Aeronet card. I got it working by fluke, and then set things up
as I thought they should be, rebooted and then wondered what
happened.

  The major catch, from reading:
      http://www.live.com/wireless/unix-base-station.html

        Another mode, similar to IBSS, is "ad hoc demo" mode. This, however, is
	non-standard, is not supported by recent versions of drivers for
	Windows clients, and may not be supported by future versions of
	drivers for Apple AirPort clients. Therefore, it should not be
	used. (The terminology here can be rather confusing, because some
	802.11 vendors, e.g., Aironet, refer to IBSS mode as "ad hoc".)

  The key is the last sentence. The Aironet has to be in adhoc, while the
Wavelan has to not be in adhoc mode :-)