Subject: Re: Sound Servers?
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2001 14:12:56
[ On Wednesday, July 4, 2001 at 10:50:37 (+0200), wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Sound Servers?
>
> > generally used in conjunction with X (it was written for Enlightenment and
> > GNOME uses it as well..)
> >
> > Also, KDE 2 has a similar, supposedly more advanced sound server (arts,
> > part of x11/kdelibs2).
> >
> > As far as I can remember, both of these support playback of audio over a
> > network.
>
> i do it through rsh/mpg123/splay when i cannot play mp3 locally (on 486/33
> for example)

Perhaps what the original poster is looking for is NAS (pkgsrc/audio/nas).

I use it to play MP3s and MP3 streams to my NCD HMX terminal (and would
use it with my SS1+ workstation too, but I've yet to upgrade the OS on
it to one that handles audio properly).

	#! /bin/ksh

	for file in
	do
		mpg123 -v -r 44100 --stereo -s "$file" | \
			sox -r 44100 -c 2 -t sw - -t au - | \
			auplay -volume 25
	done

--