Subject: Upgrading prebuilt pkgs
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/2001 22:36:51
Two questions on upgrading a pre-built binary package...

QUESTION #1.

I assume that since the KDE 2.1 binaries are available, I
don't have to wait for NetBSD 1.5.1 before upgrading to
KDE 2.1. Is this a correct assumption?

QUESTION #2

The NetBSD guide says to use pkg_delete to remove a
package prior to upgrading it. It gives the example:

**********************

# pkg_delete -r jpeg

will remove jpeg and all the packages that used it; this
allows upgrading the jpeg package.

**********************

I want to upgrade from KDE 1.2.1 to KDE 2.1 so as to have
Konqueror with CSS.

But know that I had to manually install one heck of a lot
of stuff to get KDE 1.2.1 going. I was working from the
Wasabi four-CD set. A simple pkg_add of the KDE tgz did
not work. All the dependencies failed because they
weren't in the directory where the script went to look
for them.

So I had to do pkg_add on each of the dependencies
individually from off the CD. There were a lot of them.
It wasn't fun. Memory of it leaves me timid about
upgrading.

I worry that my having manually run pkg_add on each
dependency may have left pkg_delete with no clue of what
to remove. Might that be so? Does anyone know?

Will I have to sit down and make a handwritten checklist
of the two versions of KDE for their repsective
dependencies, then check the versions of each, and then
remove certain among them manually so as to install
upgrades for any such outdated dependencies?

If so, it seems a great deal of bother, and VERY prone to
fumbling newbie-error.

Any hints or clues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI