Subject: Re: IBM PC Server
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/2001 18:13:45
[ On Thursday, June 28, 2001 at 11:00:58 (-0500), David Burgess wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: IBM PC Server
>
> "Greg A. Woods" wrote:
> >
> > That config should still work with my suggested:
> >
> >   lpt0  at isa? port 0x3bc irq 7        # monochrome parallel port
> >   lpt0  at isa? port 0x378 irq 7        # standard PC parallel ports
> >
> > except of course the onboard LPT won't be configured unless you build a
> > custom kernel.
>
> You also run afoul of having two lpt0 devices if you have both ports
> installed.  For this to work, wouldn't you need to independently
> identify the devices as lpt0 and lpt1?

If you need two working parallel ports then you can build a new kernel.

In the mean time the above config will (if I still understand the config
search rules) find the first port in the same way the BIOS will and then
stop looking for more.

I think it's important that the GENERIC kernel find the "right" (as per
the BIOS) first port, and I don't see that it should have to support
more than one port by default.

> I'm not really trying to argue, but as I said yesterday, the polled
> device is a perfectly reasonable way to set up the printers on this
> system.

I've never been able to get the polled device to work on my IBM PC
Server 325.  I've never tried on any other kind of machine.

Mind you I haven't yet tried with the interrupt driven variant either,
though since the interface is going to be delivering interrupts anyway I
can't see how it'll work any worse!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods