Subject: Re: installation steps for dual boot via windows nt boot.ini
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Analysis and Solutions <info@analysisandsolutions.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/2001 19:37:20
Hi Manuel and Everyone:

Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:56:45PM -0400, Analysis and Solutions wrote:
> >
> > I want to install NetBSD into the free space AND continue to use NT's boot
> > selector.
> >
> > I already downloaded the boot block from
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/nbsd0.bb and put that in my C:\ drive.  Plus
> > I added
> >    c:\nbsd0.bb="NetBSD (harddisk 0)"
> > to my boot.ini file.

Tip to folks here, don't use the boot block, nbsd0.bb, downloaded from the
internet.  Create the boot block yourself.  Boot into NetBSD on your hard
drive via your install floppy, then create the boot block from there.

   dd if=/dev/rwd0a of=/95/nbsd0.bb count=1 bs=512
                        ^^
Insert the mount point of your DOS C:\ partition here.

This assumes you've already created a working disklabel for that drive and
have mounted it.

> > So, now onto my specific questions which came up while running sysinst:
> >
> > * Boot Selector?
> > Clearly no, since I want to use NT's selector.
> >
> > * Normal Bootcode?
> > Should I or shouldn't I?  What does this mean, anyway and where will it be
> > installed if I answer yes?
>
> This is the standart PC boot block. It's installed in the MBR. Should be safe
> to install this one.

Worked fine.

> > * Outside range BIOS can read.
> >   Install bootcode into the Master Boot Record?
> >   Will overwrite existing MBR.
> > YEOW!  Sounds dangerous.  What to do???
>
> I think this will install NetBSD's boot program in the MBR instead
> of in it's partition. You don't want this in your case.

During the install this question didn't come up this time.  Guess answering
yes to the previous question made it unnecessary.

Many thanks,

--Dan

--
                PHP scripts that make your job easier