Subject: Re: IBM PC Server
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/2001 20:39:57
[ On Tuesday, June 26, 2001 at 19:04:06 (-0400), Kevin P. Neal wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: IBM PC Server
>
> The GENERIC kernel is configured to poll the parallel port at port 0x3bc.
> The parallel port driver therefore ignores IRQ 7, leading to an unclaimed
> interrupt.

Oh, of course -- even with the cut&paste I failed to clue in on the
missing 'irq' specifications!  ;-)

So, why doesn't it work even in polled mode?

(I wonder why IBM default it to 0x3BC too -- that's supposedly the port
that would be on a really old monochrome adapter)

It's also very curious to me why lpt2 isn't defaulted to IRQ-7 in
GENERIC too.  It's probably almost impossible these days to find a
machine on which NetBSD will boot and which has both normal parallel
ports _and_ a monochrome adapter.  Are machines with three parallel
ports any more common?

In fact in reading my copy of the "Hardware Bible" I find it curious
that the GENERIC kernel doesn't follow the same search rules as the BIOS
(i.e. search at 0x3BC first).  Does GENERIC really need to have more
than one "lpt" device?  Why not just have:

	lpt0	at isa? port 0x3bc irq 7	# monochrome parallel port
	lpt0	at isa? port 0x378 irq 7	# standard PC parallel ports
	#lpt1	at isa? port 0x278		# 2nd port, usually at IRQ 5

> The solution (aside from changing the port the parallel port shows
> up at) is to recompile the kernel. See /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC
> for the config file that you should start with.

Why make your answer so obscure?

just change the existing 'lpt0' line to read

	lpt0 at isa? port 0x3bc irq 7

and comment out the 'lpt2' line....

(or use the example above)

--