Subject: Re: IBM PC Server
To: Vance Dereksen <vance@ikickass.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/2001 19:04:06
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 06:38:01PM -0400, Vance Dereksen wrote:
> Hi.  I have an IBM PC Server that has the parallel port at 0x3bc and
> interrupts at 7.  (I believe these are the correct settings for the first
> parallel port.)  The way NetBSD seems to want to recognize it is as the
> third port (lp2?) and uses polling.  It then later complains about a stray
> interrupt 7.  What am I doing wrong?

Wrong? Nothing.

The GENERIC kernel is configured to poll the parallel port at port 0x3bc.
The parallel port driver therefore ignores IRQ 7, leading to an unclaimed
interrupt.

The solution (aside from changing the port the parallel port shows
up at) is to recompile the kernel. See /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC
for the config file that you should start with.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"