Subject: Still problems getting VMware running under -current.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/2001 19:27:49
Hi,

I tried to run VMware a month or two back when it was first announced
but since I am running -current I got hung up on the same problems as
others using -current.

Now, after the critical fix to genfs_vnops.c has been applied (and
also the trivial patch to the VMware kernel modules to get them to
compile under recent -current) I tried it all again.

But still no go. I get the first indication of problems on the console
during boot:
-----------
Starting vmnet
Module loaded as ID 0
Starting vmmon
Module loaded as ID 1
starting vmnetif
/dev/vmnet1: Bad file descriptor
-----------
Ahem. No good. And this is definitely different from how it behaved
previously. This is what modstat reports afterwards:
-----------
urple:patches/halflife>modstat
Type    Id  Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
DEV       0  29 d4105000 0008 d4106a00   1 vmnet
DEV       1  30 d410e000 0014 d41117a0   1 vmmon
-----------
If I try to power on the virtual machine anyhow I get this in the VMware log
-----------
Jun 26 19:09:47: DICT                 tag.tools = ToolsInstall.htm
Jun 26 19:09:47: DICT --- GLOBAL SETTINGS
Jun 26 19:09:47: GuestOSId = 0x5006
Jun 26 19:09:47: Msg_Post Error: msg.moduletable.powerOnFailed
Could not open Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded.
 (/dev/vmmon).
Module 5 power on failed.
Jun 26 19:22:54:

MainPowerOff-- Shutting down devices
Jun 26 19:22:54: MainPowerOff-- Shutdown complete
Jun 26 19:22:54: changing state 0 from 1871 to 1870
-----------
Where should I start looking? It seems a bit strange that the message
is "Could not open". Could not open what? And I cannot find that exact
string in any of the supplied files, especially not in the vmware
binary:
snout:vmware>strings -a /usr/local/vol/vmware-2.0.3/bin/vmware | grep "Could not open"
Could not open %s (%s).
Could not open /proc/cpuinfo.
Could not open %s (%s).
Could not open %s: %s