Subject: raid10 construction
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: david kwok <dkwok@iware.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/2001 18:09:48
My current NetBSD version is NetBSD-1.5.1_BETA2.

I have constructed the first layer ok, ie the raid1 set for 2 pairs of
disks, wd0 & wd2, wd1 & wd3.

Disklabel for wd0 & wd2 is:

a:  500M  4.2BSD    #boot partition
c:27000M   unused   #
e:  500M   RAID     #swap, raid0
f: 2000M   RAID     #/   , raid1
g:27000M   RAID     #to be stripped with second set, raid2

Disklabel for wd1 & wd3 is

c:15000M    unused
d:15000M    unused
e:15000M    RAID    # to be stripped with first set, raid3

Now I am stuck with how to proceed after completing the installation of
raid0, raid1, raid2 and raid3.

I have read the man page about raid on raid.

It shows how the raid.conf should be scripted. However I cannot set the
disklabel of the raid disk as this:

d: 27000M   0   unused
e: 27000M   0   RAID

When I do disklabel -R -r raid2 /root/disklabel.raid2
The error message is:
disklabel: waring, unused partition e: size 27000M offset 0

when I do a disklabel raid2 to check the change, it is not done and with
the same warning as above.

However I can set the disklabel as follow

a: 27000M  0 RAID
d: 27000M  0 unused

But raidctl -C /etc/raid4.conf raid4 (raid4 is the new raid10 set) does
not work.

The raid4.conf:

START disks
/dev/raid2a
/dev/raid3a

Anyone has experience with raid10? Very much appreciated.

David Kwok