Subject: Explicitely turning on cache on new Celeron
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/2001 12:11:30
Hello,

I have an old motherboard which I want to keep because it has an Adaptec
wide ultra SCSI controller built onto it, and it's a dual processor board
(waiting for 1.6). I just got a new 733 MHz Celeron, only to find out that
Intel, in their ultimate wisdom (in marketing) decided to make these
incompatible with older systems, even though the bus speed is the same and
the multiplier is irrelevant.

So I got myself a CPU adapter (my motherboard takes Nintendo cartridge
Pentium II/IIIs) that has a setting for 1.7 volts, and the Celeron works.
Yay.

However, since the motherboard is so old, and the BIOS is kinda old, too,
even though it's the latest one for that board, it doesn't turn on the
128k cache on the Celeron.

So my question is this: how can I include options in the kernel that will
explicitely turn on the cache on this Celeron? I see nothing relevant in
man options. Another question would be: if there are no kernel options,
where would an appropriate place be to insert code to do this? Unlike
Amiga, where there is an amigainit.c file that would be appropriate, I do
not see an obvious place to put this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John Klos
--
Given the classical definition of insanity as an inability to distinguish
reality from fantasy, we live in a society that, through the media, is