Subject: installation steps for dual boot via windows nt boot.ini
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Analysis and Solutions <info@analysisandsolutions.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/21/2001 16:56:45
Hi Folks:

I've been poking around all day trying to find an answer to this question and
have yet to find it.  Your assistnace will be greatly appreciated.

I have a 40 gig IDE drive with the following partitions:
   1 g  Win95 Primary
  15 g  Extended DOS composed of:
        7 g  NT in NTFS
       .4 g  NT Swap in NTFS
        4 g  Downloaded Windows programs in FAT32
        4 g  Downloaded NetBSD binary sets to install
  22 g  Free space

The system presenly boots into the first partition, where Windows NT's ntldr
/ boot.ini is utilized to select the os/partition I want to boot.

I want to install NetBSD into the free space AND continue to use NT's boot
selector.

I already downloaded the boot block from
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/nbsd0.bb and put that in my C:\ drive.  Plus
I added
   c:\nbsd0.bb="NetBSD (harddisk 0)"
to my boot.ini file.

So, now onto my specific questions which came up while running sysinst:

* Boot Selector?
Clearly no, since I want to use NT's selector.

* Normal Bootcode?
Should I or shouldn't I?  What does this mean, anyway and where will it be
installed if I answer yes?

* Outside range BIOS can read.
  Install bootcode into the Master Boot Record?
  Will overwrite existing MBR.
YEOW!  Sounds dangerous.  What to do???

In addition, if you know of any other things I need to look out for, please
do let me know.

Many thanks,

--Dan

--