Subject: Re: "Invalid Partition Table"
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/21/2001 09:16:51
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:45:50PM -0700, Bruce Lane wrote:
> > 	Or so I thought. When it tried to boot, I got 'Invalid Partition Table.'
>
> The MBR code will print this if 1) it could not find any partitions
> at all, or 2) there is no partition active. You may have forgotten
> to mark a partition active.

I also found that my Proliant 5000 will print this when there is a
"gap" in the partition table.  When 1.5 installs, it installs to partition
3 (0 is used by Compaq Utilities), leaving 1 and 2 "empty".  Even
remarking 3 as active didn't work for me.  Booting a floppy and using
fdisk to move partition 3 to 1 (then marking 1 active) worked like a
charm.  I took it to be a Compaq oddity.

-
Jon
 '"The chicken," it's been said, "is just an egg's way of making more
  eggs."' -- Alton Brown