Subject: Newbie help docs from OpenBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/2001 14:53:15
As a newbie, I'm kinda lost in the docs. I don't like to
post every dumb question online here.

I find, however, that OpenBSD seems to have more,
clearer (dumbed down) docs on their web site.

So my question is, since OpenBSD uses the NetBSD kernel,
how safe is it to employ OpenBSD help docs (on stuff like
ppp, etc) when trying to ramp up on NetBSD?

I have an opportunity for a career switch in my company.
In fact, I must switch. My job as Test Engineer is moving
to Detroit, and I have refused to go. So I must bid on a
job which remains in Kalamazoo. I'm a shoe in for a
position to set up, from scratch, a database system for
our quality department. The powers that be will probably
insist on using Windows 2000. But if I am doing the work,
I could parallel it with a near-identical setup on BSD.
If I stuck with MySQL, Perl, TCL, etc. -- all ported to
Win32, it should be doable. Then, later, if (when?)
Windows 2000 gave us big headaches, I could pop in the
parallel NetBSD setup. If it worked, nobody would squawk.

But...I fear to get bogged down for lack of familarity
with NetBSD, since most of the man pages are
totally written in g(r)eek. The OpenBSD web site has more
dumbed down instructions. I easliy found and even
half-way understood the ppp docs at first glance.

Thanks,

Gan Starling
Kalamazoo MI

PS: I'm still semi-convinced that it is best to run with
NetBSD since (from a newbie-eye view) it seems closer to
the roots of UNIX than is OpenBSD (since OpenBSD using
the NetBSD kernel), and also that NetBSD supports more
platforms. But I feel a bit more helpless since info,
instructions, etc appear (maybe just easier to find) more
abundant on OpenBSD and FreeBSD. But FreeBSD is no-go for
me since it is i386-only.