Subject: A/Ds (device drivers)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Kuhtz <ck@gnu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2001 13:23:41
Hey gang,

I'm looking at writing a device driver for an A/D on a PC/104 board.  Can
somebody point me towards where I can find
	a) info on how to do this?
	b) other drivers which work similiarly? (*)
	c) people willing to help with the implementation ;-)

(*) most A/D boards seem to have a set of I/O addresses to control the A/D and
retrieve data from it.  Some also provide an additional IRQ to retrieve data
from the A/D when the conversion or a batch of conversions is finished.  It
seems a char device would be the best way to handle this.  It would be nice if
an app can write to a control device to set up the A/D and then retrieve
individual samples or batches of samples thru the char device.

There are a bunch of questions on my part on what's the best way to design
this.  What are good or bad ways to design this?  Should the device be
blocking or non-blocking on reads? (say, a read occurs, the sample isn't
ready, the read returns a zero length vs blocking).

Any help would be greatly appreciated...  If this isn't the appropriate forum,
please let me know where I should seek help and advice on this.

Thanks in advance..

Cheers,
Chris

PS: Has anyone here messed with A/D's connected to serial ports on NetBSD
boxes?