Subject: Re: Booting (and stuff, like X)
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/2001 16:44:59
On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Excerpt from Matt London:
>
>      The problem is the only space I have to put it ATM is on a SCSI drive,
>    and my scsi card has no bios, so I can't boot from SCSI. So, no problem
>    thinks I, and I've got a 60M partition on an IDE drive (wd2g). Now, the
>    problem is, how do I set things up so it can boot from there, and then
>    pull the root fs from sd0a? ATM I'm booting with the install CD to pull up
>    the bootloader (I can't be bothered finding a disk ATM), then running boot
>    wd2g:netbsd -a and specifying sd0a when it asks for root. Not really an
>    idea solution :&)
> (snip)
>
> Maybe you could try DOSBOOT?  That would require the kernel to be on a
> DOS-readable disk or partition.  You don't say what file system is on wd2g.  I
> don't know how big your NetBSD kernel is, whether it would fit on 3.5" 1.44 MB
> diskette.  I am more familiar with LOADLIN, which is used to boot Linux when
> running DOS.

I could easily put the kernel on a dos partition, the box has win2k,linux
and netbsd on there ATM. I'll take a look at dosboot as a possibility, I
think hard wiring the kernel to use sd0.

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html