Subject: Re: NFS problems with 1.5.1_BETA2
To: Tracy Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/2001 01:28:47
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 01:34:54PM -0500, Tracy Di Marco White wrote:

> Two Linux machines that nfs mount a
> filesystem from this server see 30 second plus timeouts before the
> mount succeeds.  Another Linux machine is diskless, the mount of the
> root file system started failing Sunday (before the update to latest
> source, and the reason for it), and the machine panics when it isn't
> able to mount the root file system.  The Linux boxes are all showing
> error -5.

I have no idea what this could be. There weren't any relevant changes
to mountd or nfsd that could cause this. If you could send me a tcpdump
output of the relevant exchange, I might be able to track what's
going on there.

> I'm also seeing problems with NetBSD machines (current-1.5U & 1.5.1_BETA2)
> mounting NFS from the file server.  Mostly I'm just seeing alternating
> "fileserver not responding" "fileserver is alive" on the NetBSD machines.

I've seen that kind of ping-pong message behavior before. I am not
completely sure what causes it, but you could try using TCP for the
clients and see if that stabilizes things.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/