Subject: Booting (and stuff, like X)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/2001 18:04:07
Hi,
  I'm a newbie to NetBSD/i386 - I've got NetBSD/vax and NetBSD/sparc
working quite happily, both from a local drive and over the network. So I
thought I might play with NetBSD/i386.

  The problem is the only space I have to put it ATM is on a SCSI drive,
and my scsi card has no bios, so I can't boot from SCSI. So, no problem
thinks I, and I've got a 60M partition on an IDE drive (wd2g). Now, the
problem is, how do I set things up so it can boot from there, and then
pull the root fs from sd0a? ATM I'm booting with the install CD to pull up
the bootloader (I can't be bothered finding a disk ATM), then running boot
wd2g:netbsd -a and specifying sd0a when it asks for root. Not really an
idea solution :&)

  Next thing I'd like to sort is X - ATM (after running xf86config) when
you run startx it's just pulling up a black screen (no pointer) - right
resolution, just no apparent way to exit.

  All thoughts welcome :&)

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html